Knee pain is a pretty common symptom that occurs to people of all ages. It may start suddenly and most often after an injury or exercise. Knee pain can be caused by arthritis, dislocation of kneecap, infection of the joint, torn cartilage, inflammation from repeated pressure on the knee such as kneeling for long periods of time, overuse or injury, strain and many others. Sitting for too long at the desk also causes knee pain. Inactivity can result in the muscles and tendons becoming stiff and painful .
It is often heard that knee pain only happens to older people. Well, believe or not, this is a myth. Knee pain can occur in everyone regardless of age. It begins as mild pain that would slowly worsen over time. Being overweight can put a person at higher risk for knee problems.
Here are some treatment tips on how to make the knee pain go away:-
- Avoid activities that aggravate your pain. Take a rest.
- Apply ice at least four times per day.
- Use a foot rest to keep your knee raised as much as possible. This is to bring any swelling down.
- Wear an elastic sleeve around your knee as this may reduce swelling and provide support. You can by the sleeve from most pharmacies.
- Sleep with a pillow underneath or between your knees.
- Always warm up before exercising and perform cool down exercise afterwards.
- Lose weight if you are overweight as every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when going up and down stairs.
- Wear flat shoes that are cushioned and comfortable.